Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The 14 Day Fashion Challenge


We've all had this; we're going away and need to limit our packing. For me right now it's sort of the opposite problem. I'm moving back to New York City in 14 days and have to pack as much as possible but what will I wear for the next 2 weeks if everything is packed? 

What started off as a very full clothing rack of winter and fall clothes has been whittled down to 14 pieces. All the others are packed or in the closet to be brought to NY on my next trip in a month. I realized as I was narrowing it down that this is a great exercise for women to do! As you do this you start to realize which pieces you can really wear in multiple ways and truly what your favorite pieces are. You start to see how impractical or simply "out" certain items can be.


An editor in InStyle gave a tidbit of advice I (try to) follow when shopping and looking at an item or accessory: Name 3 ways you can wear this piece. And if it's more expensive - try to come up with 6 ways. That really came into play in this experiment. 

So here are the pieces I've chosen to work with:

1. Black leather jacket
If it was summer I'd probably go with jean but since I'm on the east coast it's pretty damn cold. A great leather jacket can be worn in a multitude of ways. Hopefully I'll get a lot of use out of it because this piece falls under the "6 ways to wear" rule I had to come up with. It was that expensive. 
Lafayette 148 from Winners.


Tops 


2. A T shirt
I had a bunch of Ts to choose from but I thought this one could be worn a few different ways because of the color and the season. Even though it's -10C outside a T is good to layer, especially when travelling or going to an office and you're not sure what the temperature of a room or plane might be. 

Breast Cancer Awareness. 

3. A blouse
You could do any blouse, white, black, or patterned like this one. 


H n M.

4. A sweatshirt. 
So this one was a little risky but I had a few sweaters/sweatshirts to choose from. I thought this would be a good item to have since it is cold and some days I just want to be in sweats without actually being in sweats. 


Zara.

5. Button down/Chambray Top. 
Chambray is kind of a trendy thing but I love it. It's a piece that goes with so many different bottoms and can be layered. I'm a little obsessed with mine which I call my ombre chambray top.

Old Navy.


Bottoms


6. Jeans.
I've chosen the only pair I have which are dark wash skinny jeans. I think these are the most flattering and versatile. I know some people reading this might be women that might not wear pants so I would say you could do the exact same thing with a jean skirt instead!

Gap.

7. Pleather Pants.
I probably could have done without these but I still wanted to give myself options. Another super trendy piece but I really like wearing them and they are easy to dress up or down. If you don't wear pants I'd consider doing a leather/pleather skirt instead (which is my #9.)

Mendocino.

8. Leggings.
I don't care who says leggings aren't pants. If they are thick enough they are. Tights are not pants but leggings are. And my G_d do I love them. Especially this time of year. I had to keep a pair of leggings. If you don't wear pants I would wear an American Apparel skirt or any other similar black stretchy skirt as an equivalent.

Lulu Lemon.

9. Leather Skirt.
I needed at least one skirt in this experiment. I actually like wearing skirts. However in the winter they always mean tights or something underneath, which is why I felt I could pack my jean skirts. A great leather skirt can be worn tons of ways of which I hope to share and come up with over the next two weeks.

Aretz Originals.


Dresses

You'll see I have 4 dresses chosen for my remaining items and I'm not sure how much versatility I'll get out of them but I keep Shabbat and needed dresses so we'll see how handy those are or what I mistake I made.


    



                                                   







Hypothesis: (ps I can't even believe I remember the word hypothesis since I haven't used it since 8th grade science class with Mr. Franken.)
One thing I suspect is I'll have a hard time finding an outfit I'm "in the mood for " or "feeling that day." Which is a woman's #1 inability to put clothing on in the morning. "I don't have anything." This should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment