Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year, New Life


There's a very clear gap in my posts which up until now are from February 2013. Pathetic? Yes. Have a good reason? I think so.


Just over a year ago I was promoted to be a company's social media manager. A position I didn't even know existed up until a couple years ago. Then they wanted to launch a blog which was perfect for me since I loved to blog and write. But when the blog launched in February, my personal blogging took a back seat. I was sad because I missed blogging but was still happy since I was doing it professionally. The job opened me up to a whole new reality.
[Shameless plug. Check out Jewish Wedding Blog for everything Jewish wedding related! http://blog.ketubah.com/]


Thoughts and dreams began to bubble about going back to school not for television and screenwriting as I had originally imagined but perhaps in this new field. The potential jobs and future were exciting and intriguing. When I started looking into schools that offered that type of education I thought, "hmm, if I'm going back to school why wouldn't I try and move back to New York?" I took it a step further and looked to see if any programs had Spring 2014 acceptance, rather than waiting an entire year to start in the Fall of 2014. After a lot of research I found a couple amazing programs that felt impossible to get in to. I closed my eyes, worked hard on essays, begging teachers for speedy letters of recommendation, and voila. By November 1st I had applied to two programs with a back up plan forming, assuming I wouldn't get into either program.

Long story short (I know, that's hard for me) I actually got in to The New School for Public Engagement in New York City to get my M.S. in Media Management. The campus is so cool, modern, and edgy. Many things I do not think I am enough of. But I'm going to fake it hoping someone will buy it. That has been the hardest part for me personally. Believe it.

Obviously a part of me thought I was good enough to get in. I wrote the Statement of Purpose essay, and truly meant it. I felt desperate to get in. It was my only way out of Toronto. Don't get me wrong, Toronto is great, but if you love New York City, there is no comparison. If you hate NYC...well then, I can't help you. Or understand you. Or be friends with you.

When life changes, when you actively make a change to the direction your life is going in, it's incredible to be totally present. Most of these moments slip by us and we never truly experience them. Now, I'm seeing maybe that's for the best. I feel so in the moment, so aware of what is happening (and changing) that I cannot wrap my head around it. It's crazy. I am moving back to NYC. I will get 2-3 more years there and that is such an incredible opportunity. I am getting a second chance there and I plan to take full advantage!

No comments:

Post a Comment