Thursday, December 27, 2012

Django Unchained

I was thrilled when a friend called and asked me if I wanted to see an advanced screening of Django Unchained, the latest film from Quentin Tarantino. I have to admit off the bat that I am not a die hard Tarantino fan. My first of his films to see was Inglorious Basterds so I admit I'm a late bloomer. My second was Pulp Fiction which mostly flew over my head and I think it was over hyped. I'll need to watch it again, maybe with a friend who is really into his films. And no, I haven't seen the Kill Bill movies but everyone can relax - there on my list. Stop moaning and yelling at me.
    So even though I'm not a Tarantino expert I can still say I thought it was amazing film. It has its gore but it's Tarantino gore so it's over dramatic almost to the point that it's funny, which is his intention. Why, I do not know. I'm sure at least 3 guys will send me messages after this post about why he does this, so boys, I will edit this post if I have what to.
    Tarantino has such a sense of humor, even when dealing with touchy subjects like the Holocaust and slavery. Yet, he treats these serious moments in history with respect which I think is an extreme challenge and talent.

Best Actors: I think it's a tie between Christopher Waltz (who was also brilliant in Basterds) and Leonardo DiCaprio (one of my favorite actors). They were both so hilarious, brilliant, and all encompassing of their characters. Both of them are nominated for the Golden Globe so if I had to vote (and God knows I wish I did) I'd say Waltz, but only if both their guns were pointed at me. Surely DiCaprio would kill me and my guts would splatter all over Waltz.
Second Best Actors: Samuel L. Jackson who I completely didn't recognize and thought did a great job with such a small role for such a hugely famous actor, and Jamie Foxx (a man that can pull off a certain blue outfit deserves serious applause.)
My favorite little surprise was finally seeing Kerry Washington act. I always see her on the red carpet and she's got great style but I always thought, "what the hell is this woman famous for??" I just Googled her and realized she also played Foxx's wife in Ray, so their chemistry makes a lot of sense. Regardless of my not knowing her work I really liked her and thought she was really powerful in this role.

In my opinion Django Unchained is definitely a must see. It will make you laugh, cover your eyes (if you're a girl)/squirm (if you're a guy. It will also make you protect your man parts), root for justice, and grateful that we no longer live in such a time of racism (well, at least most of us.)
Now I just can't decide if I think Golden Globe for Best Director should go to Ben Affleck for Argo or Taratino for this. My heart is torn!

No comments:

Post a Comment